Bib Lettuce tossed+ radish top avocado dressing
Salads are perfect for any time of the year, especially spring and summer. I made this salad when it was a scorching 102 degrees in Portland this summer. I needed a simple salad with pre-roasted leftover vegetables to cool and nourish my body. Lettuce is such a versatile vegetable. I recommend switching up different lettuces for getting varying nutrients.
L E T T U CE (let us) break down the types of lettuce and a few nutritional differences---->>>
A good rule of thumb is that nutritional value goes up as the green in the leaves gets darker
- 4-5 butter lettuce leaves
- 1 red bell pepper
- 4-5 slices of cucumber
- 4 cherry tomatoes, halved
- A few shavings of fennel (use mandoline OR vegetable peeler)
- Hemp seeds (sprinkled on top)
- 1 bunch of rainbow carrots (*see recipe under "SIDES")
- Radish tops
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 small handful of parsley leaves
- 3/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 small avocado
- Juice from 1/2 a lemon (add to taste)
- Olive oil ( add slowly; enough to blend to a smooth consistency)
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Turn oven onto broil (high). Broil, turning periodically as sides blacken, until all sides are moderately blackened. Remove from heat. Let cool.
- Wash lettuce and place in a salad spinner or dry with a towel
- Put all pesto ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Toss lettuce in dressing.
- Top with sliced cucumber, sliced red bell pepper, cherry tomatoes, fennel, and sliced roasted carrots.