Gluten Free Pancakes with an Herbal Fruit Preserve
Breakfast cakes you can happily relish in on your weekends! These pancakes are all the "FREES": gluten free, grain free, and dairy free. I was going through a bit of a pancake obsession right before summer hit. I really enjoy experimenting with pancakes, because they can be healthy and you can readily change the ingredients (especially with spices) and toppings to get varied flavors, not to mention, added nutrition. Pancakes are simple, nourishing and a comforting way to start your day.
*marks ingredients needed for the herbal fruit preserve
- 1/2 c. almond flour (or
- 2 tbsp. coconut flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. flaxseed
- 1 tsp. chiaseeds
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. honey
- 2 tsp. coconut oil
- 2/3 cup walnut milk (almond milk or hemp seed milk is great too)
- 2 eggs
- 1 banana
- 1/4 cup fresh blueberries
- 2 cups chopped seasonal fruit (cherries, figs, peaches, pears, etc)*
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar*
- 1/2 cup organic cane sugar (optional and will depend on the fruit that you are using)*
- 2T chopped ginger*
- 1 cinnamon stick*
- 5-10 whole cloves*
- 5 all spice seeds*
- 10 cardamom seeds*
- 1/4 cup brandy (optional)*
- Vanilla pod (optional, but delicious)*
- For the preserve:
- Wash, pit (if necessary), and slice fruit into large chunks or halved. Place vinegar, sugar, ginger, vanilla pod (slicing in half lengthwise), herbs/spices in a heavy bottom sauce pan over medium heat.
- Bring to a simmer and reduce heat to maintain a simmer. Cover and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add brandy and fruit. Cook for an additional 2 minutes. Turn off heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Pour mixture into a clean quart mason jar and cover with a tight fitting lid. Will keep for 1-2 months in the fridge. Delicious over pancakes, whipped cream, ice cream, and other breakfast items.
- Onto the pancakes:
- Mix almond flour, coconut flour, baking soda, flaxseeds, chiaseeds, and cinnamon in a small bowl.
- In a medium bowl, whisk eggs, milk, and honey. Pour dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until it forms a nice batter (add extra milk to smooth out the batter if needed).
- Heat a small-medium sized skillet over medium-high heat with coconut oil. Once hot, ladel in some of the batter (depending on how small or large you like your cakes). Cook 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- Top with extra blueberries or other fruit of choice, drizzled coconut oil + honey, and the homemade herbal fruit preserve. Your taste buds and your stomach will be happy, guaranteed!
Easy and quick
Omega-3 fatty acids
Lowers LDL cholesterol